Our Biotre Coffee Bag, Compostable & Bio-Degradeable February 09 2014

They say that a brand is the sum of its details. For a coffee roaster, the coffee bag allows every customer to hold the essence of the company in their hands. The coffee bag is the brand of the company. When we sat down to design our bags, we knew we wanted them to look elegant and simple. From there, it was a long journey into understanding the little details and decisions that led us to our own little brown bags of beans. Designed by the talented Angela Vogt, the bags are letterpressed and printed down the street at Rex Mills Printing. For Spyhouse, a coffee bag is more than just a visual representation of our brand, it is a message to our customers that we believe in our product as well as the world around it.

As part of our dedication to sustainability, we found the greenest coffee bag we could. Biotrē Film is the best material on the market, and Pacific Bags has turned them into the attractive coffee bags we use at Spyhouse. While having a biodegradable package sounds like a no-brainer, it ends up being a little bit more complicated. According to Pacific, Biotrē Film is made up "...of 60% (by weight) biodegradable materials made from renewable resources such as wood pulp. The remaining 40% (by weight) of the bag is PE from fossil fuels with an additive that is designed to make it breakdown over five to ten years, thus reducing its impact on the waste stream compared to standard PE."  They have created a sustainable product out of sustainable materials. While one small coffee bag doesn't seem like a lot of waste, we have already gone through thousands of bags since we started roasting at the end of October. This brilliantly designed material protects our coffee as well as our environment.

SCR